Friday, June 6, 2008

I Am A Knitting Machine

Hello World.

The past few days I've been knitting like crazy. I have also declared it THE SUMMER OF THE STASH. I'm going to try my darndest to resist purchasing any new yarn. I can't make any promises and it will definitely be an exercise in self-control, but I'm sure going to try.

Yesterday I finished a hat made from the homespun I received last year as part of the Secret Pal 10. I kind of winged the pattern based on my experience with Purl Bee Berets and the Mary Jane Pithy Hat.

I started with some 1x1 ribbing on a US4 circ. I changed to US7 and increased into every stitch. I decided it wasn't what I wanted and switched up to a 10 1/2, which I used for the rest of the hat. The yarn was a very interesting thick and thin in yellow with swirls of blue and red. In some spots the colors are gorgeously vibrant. I'm pretty happy with it. As a blonde, I really shouldn't wear yellow hats, but apparently I can't help my self.

Today, I finished my second quant.
I used Paton's SWS in natural pink on US8s. It went very quickly. I cast on last night and finished this afternoon. I'm totally enraptured with the joy that is entrelac. I can't wait to do some more. I'm not thrilled with how it turned out. It's almost too wide for my head, and I don't like the way the pattern ends. I'm not anticipating giving this a lot of wear, but it was indeed a stashbusting project, so no regrets.

As far as stashbusting goals go, I have four giant tubs of yarn, and keep finding more every time I unpack a box or dig through a bag. These projects almost completely used up full skeins. The baby blanket I finished used up a total of 2 skeins of yarn. I'm going to set my goal not in objects made, but in skeins used up from my stash.

So, here goes: Official Goal for Skeins Used This Summer*:3o

This number might be unrealistic or a complete underestimate. We'll see.

Share your goals, and let's all de-stash together!!

*Summer being defined as the period between graduation and the first day of graduate school.

<3 uhlissa

No comments: