Tuesday, January 2, 2007

New Years Knitting Resolutions

Happy 2007!
I came home from school with big goals for the knitting part of my life. I've recently realized that most of them won't be achieved. It's not for lack of motivation or desire, but simply time. I've been travelling a lot, and unfortunately cannot drive and knit simultaneously. And now that I'm home, I'm working full time, and there's already a list two pages long of other things I need to accomplish before I go back to scool in less than two weeks. So, I've decided to make knitting resolutions. Goals for the whole year, not confined to a few particular weeks. In no particular order, the goals are:

- knit a sweater (perhaps from this awesome book called Vintage Knits that I picked up on my recent trip to Dallas.)There are several gorgeous sweaters to choose from

- knit something with the lace skills I recently taught myself

- sell a piece of my knitted work. this will be accomplished if I finish the Harry Potter scarf I just started for my brother's friend

-finish at least 1/2 of the projects that are sitting in various stages of partial completion in my knitting box. this would entail just sitting down and finishing four or five simple scarves, I believe. Here are some of the scarves I've started that I located earlier:

- make something as cool as Ambrrr's doggie sweater, without making a sweater for any of my dogs, as they are all large and would look ridiculous in sweaters

- donate at least 3 scarves to Stitches of Hope, an organization that gives hand knit scarves to cancer patients in our university's hospital. Here's an article about the group

I think that's all for now. I think those are reasonable goals, which can absolutely be completed within the next 12 months without getting too much in the way of my academic career.

And now an update of the current knitting situation:
1. My Hufflepuff scarf has been put on hold about a 1/5 of the way done to focus on the Gryffindor scarf that I've been commissioned to produce.

2. The Gryffindor scarf was begun this weekend, after the most ridiculous quest ever to find the right shade of red yarn. It's only a few stripes long, but it's looking good. Like my Hufflepuff scarf, it's being knit flat in stockingnette, and will be sewn up and have tassles (my favorite part of scarf knitting!) added.

3. I have a good friend who's birthday is next week. I'm considering whipping up some mittens over the next couple of days. I think she'd enjoy them, as it's damn cold here (well, compared to New Orleans), and I recently taught her to knit.


4. I have had one wristwarmer sitting around completed for over a month now. Maybe I'll get around to making the other one. it's based off fetching, but I made various parts of it longer and added more repitions of cables.
<3uhlissa

No comments: